Neil Bateman LLB, Dip SA, CQSW, Dip MS, MEWI
I specialise in welfare rights and social policy issues - solving benefit problems. On this website you can find out about my consultancy services, training courses and my publications.
I have over 30 years experience of welfare rights work – as a front-line adviser as well as an advocate, trainer, author, strategic manager and policy adviser. I have represented claimants at all levels of the social security appellate system and have also been involved in judicial reviews of social security and related matters. I am also very experienced at carrying out quality audits and developing strategies for social welfare law advice services.
I provide the following services:
- Training about welfare benefits
- Sorting out benefit problems for solicitors' clients
- Mentoring and support for other advisers
- Expert witness reports in benefit fraud prosecutions
- Casework on benefit problems (Please note, I do not provide an advice service to members of the public)
- Reviews and audits of advice services
- Leaflets and articles on social security subjects
- Research into social welfare legal and policy issues.
I am working towards becoming a greener business – recycling all waste, using recycled products, using energy-efficient appliances, electricity from non-carbon sources and minimising my use of cars and planes.
When I am not working I play one of my saxophones, go for long rides on one of my bikes, play fencing, tennis and badminton, take photographs and make repeated efforts to sort out the garden (why do plants have to grow and disrupt a well-ordered plan?).
Click here to read my blog about the benefits system and welfare reform.